Full-time, Monday – Friday, 1:30pm – 10:00pm.
This position will support group mental health treatment of residential boys between the ages of 12 – 18 in a mental health clinic and a residential setting. Provides substance abuse counseling, training and education.
Responsibilities in Mental Health:
- Assists assigned Behavioral Specialist in co-leading groups and will be a relational/behavioral support to the group members/leader.
- Meets with appropriate Mental Health staff prior to the start of group and following to plan and process the Mental Health day.
- Provides behavioral interventions for clients in mental health groups.
- Actively participates in group.
Responsibilities in Residential Program:
- Working knowledge of basic health and safety issues as well as current knowledge of psychopathology and treatment needs of residents.
- Maintain delivery of multidisciplinary treatment plan for assigned residents.
- Assures standards of care are appropriately identified.
- Assures daily documentation consistently reflects a resident assessment, the care provided, the resident’s response to and the outcomes of care provided.
Primary Substance Abuse Duties:
- Provides group substance abuse counseling for youth ages 12 to18 years old who abuse substances or are at risk.
- Provides substance abuse education to youth at risk for using substances.
- Educates staff about substance abuse. Assists them in identifying signs and behaviors of a person abusing substance.
- Counsels clients, individually and in group sessions to assist in overcoming or preventing dependencies, adjusting to life, and making changes.
- Counsels caregivers to assist them in understanding, dealing with, and supporting clients with substance abuse issues.
- Provides clients or caregivers with information about addiction issues and available services and programs, making appropriate referrals when necessary.
- High School graduate required and have previously been employed as a staff or volunteer at a group home or short-term residential therapeutic center for at least one year or have a Bachelor of Art or Sciences Degree. Other education/experience may qualify.
- Certified Alcohol Drug Counselor Associate (CADCA)
- Obtain, within 30 days of employment, Pro-ACT, Red Cross CPR and First Aid Certification and maintain such certification current through the term of employment with SGCC.
- Maintain a valid driver’s license and provide proof of insurance if transporting clients/families. Must have held a valid driver’s license for a minimum of 5 years.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain Live Scan clearance, pre-employment physical, TB test and drug test. San Gabriel Children’s Center reserves the right to close the application period, without notice, when a significant number of applications/resumes have been received or the position becomes filled.
San Gabriel Children’s Center has embarked upon implementing and embedding Trauma Informed Care (TIC) principles throughout the organization. Candidates should be aware that all employees are involved in the implementation and the practice of Trauma Informed Care within the organization